Skip to main content

3 Things I Do to Avoid the Stomach Bug

 


No one likes the stomach bug.

Not one single person.

This virus rears its ugly head every year and - with school/daycare starting back soon - this mama is already stressed for what's about to come.

Very soon, everyone will be posting their woes on social media. Families will be hit with this virus left and right. Kids will be down for the count. Parents will be pushing through with whatever strength they have left and they will be warning everyone to take precautions.

Trust me, I am already taking precautions.

While I know our family will be hit with the inevitable bug - whether this year or sometime during our existence - I have implemented these 3 tips to reduce the chances of the stomach virus attacking our home and bodies.

If you are a parent - or someone who simply wants to be as prepared as possible - this post is for you. Keep reading!

 

 


1. Wash your hands

 This is common sense, but the critical importance of this habit is always worth mentioning. The stomach bug is spread by droplets and skin-to-skin contact. 

After every meal and after every bathroom trip you MUST stay diligent on your handwashing. Reducing the spread of germs can be as simple as covering your mouth as you cough, taking shoes off as you enter your home, and - yes - washing your hands.

Keep antibacterial liquid hand soap near every sink in your home. Use it.

 

2. Drink 100% grape juice

 I know there are conflicting opinions on this tip, but I will firmly stand in the camp that advocates for grape juice as a preventative measure.

I read somewhere that 100% grape juice adjusts the pH in your stomach to make it inhabitable for the norovirus and difficult to settle and spread. 

Whether this is a true, scientific fact or just an old wives tale or placebo effect, I am not taking chances. From my personal experience, I have avoided the dreaded stomach bug during seasons I was chugging grape juice daily. 

This is enough for me to keep practicing this habit. 

NOTE: Be sure to grab 100% grape juice and not a juice cocktail. The Welch's brand is my go-to juice. 

I drink 1 cup each morning, no exceptions.

 

3. Stop chewing gum

This tip may sound strange, but hear me out:

If the stomach bug is spread through droplets, then it is possible for those droplets - when airborne - to make contact with the gum in our mouths every time we open up to chew.

When we breathe in, the droplets essentially get trapped onto the gum and - with every chew - we are absorbing the virus and transporting it directly into our system.

SO. DANG. GROSS.

From personal experience, I have stopped chewing gum for about 4 years now and my experience with the virus has drastically reduced.

If you must chew gum, I encourage you to find an alternative habit. I am not sure what could replace the gum-chewing aspect, but if you're worried about bad breath, just focus on better dental hygiene or opt for a travel size mouth spray.

In summary: ditch the gum and keep your mouth shut!

These 3 habits have been helpful to me, so I am sharing them so they will help other families as well.

To learn more about my overall health journey, check out this post!

If you have any tips or tricks that you have used to prevent the stomach bug from invading your home, please share them below so we can support each other!

Stay safe!

Stay healthy!


Comments