Skip to main content

Achieving Safe and Effective Weight Loss: A Holistic Approach

Some of the links in my blog posts are affiliate links, and I wanted to be completely transparent about it. Being an Amazon affiliate allows me to earn a small commission when you make a purchase through those links, and here's the cool part - it comes at no extra cost to you!

To preface: I understand that health and weight loss can be massive triggers. Many people, especially postpartum women, struggle everyday with stubborn weight, food fears, and an overall frustration in their own bodies. My intention is to offer support and resources to help calm those fears and frustrations.

When I was pregnant, my highest weight was 178 lbs. After giving birth, my weight stayed around 160 lbs.

This may not seem like a lot to you, but to me this was a big deal (no pun intended). In my early 20's I maintained a weight around 120 lbs. maximum...so you can understand how adding an extra ~50 lbs. could throw me for a loop.

I began to look into all sorts of  diets, supplements, and HITT workouts.

While I would see the number on the scale drop here and there, it wasn't long before I was back to my higher weight and still looked bloated and dull. I was trying so many things that health "gurus" said would work, so why was I not seeing results?

It wasn't until I started exploring holistic wellness that I began to view my body (and its biology) in an entirely different light. By learning about a few key nutritional foundations and how they function for the body, I was able to put my knowledge to use.

I began my research in early 2021, and I intentionally started my weight loss journey in September 2022. 

I was 168 lbs. at that time.

As of today, I maintain a healthy weight around 135 lbs. and am proud to say that the extra weight has STAYED AWAY. I still get comments from people expressing how much weight I've lost or how much healthier I look. They ask me what I did - as if I am holding back a huge secret.

While I am not the biggest fan of those comments (which I may share why in another blog post, I think), I do understand why people ask. However, I hold no special trick or magical secret spell.

My answers are boring, but they ARE effective. I am proof.

 I dare say that I have found tools and resources that have truly worked for me and I am confident they can work for you, too!

Enough with the introduction...just get to the point!

Alright...geez! 

We need to understand some important foundations to health. Weight loss is a huge goal, but we need to go about it the right way. 

The focus is simple. You need to prioritize: 

  • Protein
  • Healthy Fats
  • Fiber
  • Movement
  • Sleep 

Get these in order, and you'll be on track for safe and effective weight loss. We will go over the role of each foundational tool so you will be equipped with some solid knowledge on what to do and how you can start to see effective weight loss.

Understanding HOW and WHY these things are important for your body will make it easier for you to create a plan and stay consistent. 



1. Emphasizing Protein Intake 

The significance of protein in weight loss helps with appetite control and calorie management, but also supports muscle health, metabolism, and overall well-being during the weight loss process.

Protein plays a crucial role in weight loss for several reasons. Here are some key aspects highlighting the significance of protein in the context of weight loss:

  1. Increased Satiety:

    • Protein has a high satiety factor, meaning it helps you feel full and satisfied after a meal.
    • Consuming protein-rich foods can reduce overall calorie intake by curbing hunger and preventing overeating.
  2. Thermic Effect of Food (TEF):

    • The body expends energy in the process of digesting and metabolizing food, known as the thermic effect of food.
    • Protein has a higher TEF compared to carbohydrates and fats, which means the body burns more calories in the digestion of protein.
  3. Preservation of Lean Muscle Mass:

    • During weight loss, the goal is typically to lose fat while preserving lean muscle mass.
    • Adequate protein intake is essential for maintaining muscle mass, ensuring that the weight lost comes from fat stores rather than muscle tissue.
  4. Metabolic Rate Boost:

    • The preservation of muscle mass contributes to a higher resting metabolic rate (RMR).
    • A higher RMR means that the body burns more calories at rest, aiding in weight loss and weight maintenance.
  5. Blood Sugar Regulation:

    • Protein helps regulate blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates.
    • This can prevent spikes and crashes in blood sugar, promoting more stable energy levels and reducing cravings for sugary snacks.
  6. Muscle Repair and Recovery:

    • Regular physical activity, including exercise for weight loss, can cause muscle breakdown.
    • Protein is essential for muscle repair and recovery, supporting overall fitness and the ability to engage in effective workouts.
  7. Nutrient Density:

    • Protein-rich foods often come with other essential nutrients, contributing to the overall nutritional quality of a diet.
    • Choosing nutrient-dense foods helps ensure that your body receives the necessary vitamins and minerals during weight loss.
  8. Longer-Term Weight Maintenance:

    • A diet rich in protein has been associated with better weight maintenance after initial weight loss.
    • Protein helps prevent the regain of lost weight by promoting a feeling of fullness and supporting a healthy body composition.
     
     👉Basically, you want to incorporate ~30 grams of protein per meal to maintain satiety and blood sugar balance. Without enough protein, your body will begin to feel "off-balance" and try to fill in the gaps via cravings and hold on to stubborn weight.

     


2. Incorporating Healthy Fats 

Healthy fats play a crucial role in a balanced diet and are essential for overall health. Here are some key roles and benefits of incorporating healthy fats into your diet:

  1. Nutrient Absorption:

    • Healthy fats, such as those found in avocados, nuts, and olive oil, aid in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K).
    • These vitamins are crucial for various bodily functions, including bone health, immune function, and vision.
  2. Brain Health:

    • The brain is composed of a significant amount of fat, and it requires a steady supply of healthy fats to function optimally.
    • Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fatty fish (like salmon and mackerel), flax seeds, and walnuts, are particularly important for cognitive function and can support brain health.
  3. Heart Health:

    • Certain types of healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, have been associated with cardiovascular health.
    • They can help reduce levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.
  4. Joint and Skin Health:

    • Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties, which can benefit joint health and may alleviate symptoms in conditions like arthritis.
    • Healthy fats also contribute to skin health, helping to maintain moisture and suppleness.
  5. Hormone Production:

    • Fats are involved in the production of hormones, including those related to metabolism, reproduction, and stress response.
    • Balanced hormone levels are essential for various bodily functions, including weight regulation.
  6. Cell Structure and Function:

    • Fats are a crucial component of cell membranes, providing structure and facilitating communication between cells.
    • A diet with adequate healthy fats supports cellular integrity and function.
  7. Energy Source:

    • Fats serve as a concentrated and efficient energy source.
    • They provide a longer-lasting and sustained energy release compared to carbohydrates, helping to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
  8. Insulation and Temperature Regulation:

    • Fats contribute to the insulation of organs and help regulate body temperature.
    • Adequate fat intake is important for maintaining a healthy body composition and supporting the body's thermoregulatory mechanisms.
  9. Satiety and Weight Management:

    • Including healthy fats in meals can enhance the feeling of fullness, which can contribute to better appetite control and weight management.
    • The satiety provided by fats can help prevent overeating and snacking between meals.

👉Don't let mainstream media or the "health" claims of the 1990s scare you. Healthy fats are a good thing and they keep you fuller for longer. ~10-30 grams per meal is fine!


3. Boosting Fiber Intake 

Fiber plays a significant role in weight loss and overall health. Incorporating an adequate amount of fiber into your diet offers several benefits that can contribute to effective weight management. Here are some key reasons why fiber is important for weight loss:

  1. Satiety and Reduced Caloric Intake:

    • High-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, have a high volume and require more chewing, which can promote a feeling of fullness.
    • Increased satiety can lead to a reduction in overall caloric intake, helping to prevent overeating and support weight loss.
  2. Slower Digestion and Stabilized Blood Sugar Levels:

    • Fiber slows down the digestion and absorption of nutrients, including carbohydrates.
    • This slower digestion results in a more gradual release of glucose into the bloodstream, helping to stabilize blood sugar levels.
    • Stable blood sugar levels reduce the likelihood of energy crashes and cravings for sugary or high-calorie snacks.
  3. Regulation of Appetite Hormones:

    • Fiber can influence the production of hormones that regulate appetite, such as ghrelin and leptin.
    • Ghrelin stimulates hunger, while leptin signals satiety. Fiber helps maintain a balance between these hormones, promoting a healthy appetite control mechanism.
  4. Increased Chewing Time:

    • The act of chewing high-fiber foods takes more time, which can contribute to a longer duration of meals.
    • Spending more time eating may give your body the opportunity to recognize fullness, reducing the likelihood of overeating.
  5. Low in Calories, High in Volume:

    • Many high-fiber foods are low in calorie density but high in volume.
    • This means you can consume larger portions of fiber-rich foods with fewer calories, promoting a feeling of fullness without excessive caloric intake.
  6. Improved Digestive Health:

    • Fiber adds bulk to the diet, which can aid in regular bowel movements and prevent constipation.
    • A healthy digestive system is essential for nutrient absorption and overall well-being.
  7. Support for Healthy Gut Microbiome:

    • Fiber serves as a prebiotic, promoting the growth and activity of beneficial gut bacteria.
    • A balanced and diverse gut microbiome is associated with various health benefits, including improved metabolism and a reduced risk of obesity.
  8. Long-Term Weight Maintenance:

    • Diets rich in fiber have been linked to better long-term weight maintenance.
    • The sustainable nature of a high-fiber diet, combined with its various health benefits, makes it conducive to maintaining a healthy weight over time.
     
👉Reduce stress on the body by incorporating 5-15 grams of fiber per meal. This will keep blood sugar steady and keep you "regular"...if you know what I mean ;)

4. Prioritizing Movement 

Daily movement, especially activities like walking, offers numerous benefits for weight loss and overall health. Here are some key advantages:

  1. Caloric Expenditure:

    • Walking is a low-impact aerobic exercise that burns calories and contributes to a negative energy balance, which is essential for weight loss.
    • The number of calories burned during a walk depends on factors like duration, intensity, and individual factors, but regular walking can contribute to overall caloric expenditure.
  2. Increased Physical Activity:

    • Incorporating daily walking into your routine increases overall physical activity levels.
    • Consistent physical activity is crucial for weight loss as it helps create a sustainable calorie deficit, promoting the use of stored fat for energy.
  3. Accessible and Sustainable:

    • Walking is a simple and accessible form of exercise that doesn't require special equipment or a gym membership.
    • It is easy to incorporate into daily life, making it a sustainable long-term activity for many people. 10 minute walks are a GAME CHANGER!
  4. Improved Metabolism:

    • Regular walking can boost your metabolism, both during the activity and for some time afterward.
    • This increase in metabolic rate contributes to additional calorie burning, supporting weight loss efforts.
  5. Appetite Regulation:

    • Exercise, including walking, can help regulate appetite hormones, potentially reducing overall calorie intake.
    • Some studies suggest that physical activity may influence hormones related to hunger and satiety, contributing to better appetite control.
  6. Stress Reduction:

    • Walking has been shown to reduce stress and promote mental well-being.
    • Stress management is crucial for weight loss because stress can lead to emotional eating and the consumption of high-calorie comfort foods.
  7. Improved Cardiovascular Health:

    • Walking is a cardiovascular exercise that benefits heart health.
    • A healthy cardiovascular system is essential for overall well-being and can support more effective and sustained weight loss efforts.
  8. Maintaining Muscle Mass:

    • While walking is a low-intensity exercise, it still engages muscles in the lower body.
    • Regular movement helps maintain muscle mass, which is important for overall metabolic health and can aid in weight loss by preserving lean body mass.
  9. Enhanced Mood and Motivation:

    • Physical activity, including walking, releases endorphins, which are known as "feel-good" hormones.
    • Improved mood and motivation can positively influence adherence to healthy lifestyle choices, including dietary changes for weight loss.
  10. Joint Health:

    • Walking is a low-impact exercise that is gentle on the joints, making it suitable for people of various fitness levels and those with joint concerns.
    • This makes walking a sustainable and inclusive form of exercise for a wide range of individuals.
👉I cannot express how much walking has helped me when I began taking my health more seriously. Did you know you can workout 3-5x a week and still be considred sedentary? If you aren't incorporating daily movement throughout the week, you are doing your body a disservice. Even if you can stand at your desk, it's far better than sitting for hours on end. Try to walk ~10 minutes a day and work your way up!

5. Prioritizing Adequate Sleep 

Adequate sleep is crucial for overall health and well-being, and it plays a significant role in supporting weight loss efforts. Here are several reasons highlighting the importance of getting enough sleep:

  1. Metabolism Regulation:

    • Sleep influences the body's hormonal balance, including hormones that regulate hunger and metabolism.
    • Lack of sleep can disrupt the balance of ghrelin (hunger hormone) and leptin (satiety hormone), leading to increased appetite and potential overeating.
  2. Appetite Control:

    • Sleep deprivation has been linked to an increase in cravings for high-calorie, sugary, and carbohydrate-rich foods.
    • Lack of sleep can impair the brain's ability to make sound decisions regarding food choices, leading to a higher likelihood of consuming unhealthy foods.
  3. Energy Balance:

    • Insufficient sleep can lead to fatigue and a decrease in overall energy levels.
    • Individuals may be less motivated to engage in physical activity, leading to a reduction in daily calorie expenditure and potentially hindering weight loss efforts.
  4. Blood Sugar Regulation:

    • Sleep deprivation can impair insulin sensitivity, which is linked to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes and weight gain.
    • Proper insulin sensitivity is crucial for effective glucose metabolism and maintaining stable blood sugar levels.
  5. Fat Storage and Distribution:

    • Inadequate sleep has been associated with an increased tendency for the body to store fat, particularly around the abdominal area.
    • Poor sleep quality may contribute to changes in fat distribution, potentially influencing the risk of obesity-related health issues.
  6. Muscle Recovery and Maintenance:

    • Quality sleep is essential for the repair and maintenance of muscles, especially after physical activity or exercise.
    • Adequate rest helps support the body's ability to recover from workouts, preserving lean muscle mass during weight loss.
  7. Stress Hormones:

    • Lack of sleep can elevate stress hormone levels, such as cortisol.
    • Elevated cortisol levels are associated with increased abdominal fat deposition and can contribute to difficulties in weight management.
  8. Cognitive Function and Decision-Making:

    • Sleep deprivation can impair cognitive function, including decision-making and impulse control.
    • Individuals may be more likely to make impulsive and less healthy food choices when sleep-deprived.
  9. Mood and Emotional Well-being:

    • Lack of sleep is linked to mood disturbances, irritability, and increased stress levels.
    • Emotional well-being plays a role in eating behaviors, and managing stress through adequate sleep can positively impact weight loss efforts.
  10. Overall Health and Immune Function:

    • Chronic sleep deprivation is associated with a weakened immune system and an increased susceptibility to illness.
    • Maintaining overall health is important for consistent engagement in physical activity and adherence to a healthy lifestyle.

👉Yes, this is a big one. As parents, we seem to be on a never-ending journey to reclaim adequate sleep. While ~7-9 hours is ideal, you can still support your body if you are getting less than that. Topical magnesium, no blue light 2 hours before bedtime, and a bedtime snack can help your body relax and regulate sleep more effectively. I found that drinking a bone broth + collagen hot cocoa before bed helps me get a good night's rest! Here is the brand I use.

By implementing the knowledge I have shared above, I have managed to effectively lose ~35 lbs. and have kept it off.

I am not afraid of food. I do not count calories. I am mindful about what foods are more nutritionally dense, and I enjoy the foods that simply taste good.

I also know that STRESS must be regulated in order for these practices to work more optimally. This is an ongoing journey, too, but I will  always encourage people to work on stress management in order to see the results they are after!

I have experienced so much balance and relief in over a year. I want to help you do the same! Here is one way to go about it:

Create a Comprehensive Weight Loss Plan 

So what can you do? Well, here are some ideas to get you started:

  1. Combine movement, protein, healthy fats, fiber, and sleep for optimal results 
  2. Set realistic and achievable goals 
  3. Monitor progress and make adjustments as needed

"Ok, great," you might be thinking, "but this is still too much (vague) information. Is there a way I can appraoch this with more clear steps and guidance? I cannot figure this out on my own." 

No worries! I was in the exact same boat. With all the information online, it is easy to get lost in the overwhelm of medical journals, Instagram posts and TikTok reels.

One resource that GREATLY benefited my journey thus far has been the Metabolism Makeover Program by Megan Hansen. She has an Instagram page with tons of free and realistic information and resources. Megan also wrote a book by the same name which is pretty much the program in book form! I highly encourage you to check it out!

I enjoyed her free Instagram content so much that I signed up for the paid program to monitor my progress through accountability and weekly check-ins.

I was assigned a dietitian (hi, Leigh!!) and was able to learn more about blood sugar balance and hormone support - these are the key things to focus on when trying to truly HEAL and not just focus on the number on the scale.

It is not a gimmicky weight-loss program. No, this is actually a program that targets health as a WHOLE and focuses on true healing and support. There is so much freedom, especially when you have a community and plan in place!

Conclusion

You may have read this far thinking about how you can lose weight, but I hope you begin to focus on HEALING instead. You cannot heal in the same environment that made you sick. You can try all the vitamins and diets out there, but if your lifestyle doesn't change, then neither will you.

Remember: this will take TIME.

No diets. No "quick fixes". True change will happen when you are consistent and intentional.

Your body is beautiful and needs to be supported so it can support you back. Once you shift from thinking only about weight to thinking about how you can finally FEEL better overall is when true success can be obtained.

Life is far more precious than how well you fit into a pair of jeans 🤍


Comments