Bee...what? 🐝
Yep. It was a new thing I learned about, too, just a short time ago.
However, in that short amount of time, I decided that bee propolis will be a staple in my medicine cabinet for the rest of my life. Not only is it effective for the immune system (which we will talk about in a bit), it is also a great item for beginners who are considering natural methods to support themselves and their loved ones.
What Exactly is Bee Propolis?
Dictionary.com defines bee propolis:
propolis
a reddish resinous cement collected by bees from the buds of trees, used to stop up crevices in the hives, strengthen the cells, etc.
Bee propolis is a resinous substance that bees collect from various plants, tree buds, and sap flows. They mix this resin with beeswax and enzymes to create propolis, which they use to seal and protect their hives. Propolis has been used by humans for centuries for various purposes, including in traditional medicine and holistic health.
In holistic health, bee propolis is valued for its potential health-promoting properties. Some of the reported benefits and uses of bee propolis in holistic health include:
Antimicrobial Properties: Propolis has demonstrated antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It may help support the immune system and protect against infections.
Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Propolis contains compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. This may be beneficial in reducing inflammation in the body.
Antioxidant Activity: The antioxidants in propolis may help neutralize free radicals in the body, potentially protecting cells from damage.
Wound Healing: Due to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, propolis has been used topically to promote wound healing and reduce the risk of infections.
Oral Health: Propolis is sometimes used in oral care products (toothpaste, mouthwash) for its potential to promote oral health. It may help prevent cavities and gum disease.
Respiratory Health: Some people use propolis to support respiratory health, especially in the management of conditions like colds and coughs.
Skin Conditions: Topical applications of propolis may be used for various skin conditions, such as acne or eczema, due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
It's important to note that while there is some evidence supporting these potential benefits, more research is needed to fully understand the mechanisms and effectiveness of propolis in different health applications. Additionally, individual responses to propolis may vary, and it may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. Do not give honey to children under the age of one. As with any medical decision, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before using propolis for medicinal purposes, especially if you have allergies or existing health conditions.
I will say that there is steady evidence that supports the beneficial impacts that bees provide - honey and propolis have been used for many, many years and they continue to reign supreme when it comes to health and well-being. After all, why would modern Western medicine continually choose to advertise the use of honey in many of their products if it was just a bunch of "woo-woo" mumbo jumbo? I am a firm believer that natural remedies are a lot more powerful than we are led to think. 😉
If you can tolerate honey/propolis and don't have an allergy, I highly encourage you to check out this medical journal article to further research how these things can benefit your health.
How Can I Use It In My Daily Life?
Glad you asked!
Bee propolis is very easy to access and can be kept on hand in your medicine cabinet, purse, or glove compartment whenever you need to reach for it. It is a great product to soothe ailments such as the common cold and strep throat.
I like to use this bee propolis and keep it nearby whenever I know I am coming in contact with lots of people during the busy seasons, or when I want additional support during the winter months.
While it comes in a variety of ways (capsules, jars, tinctures, etc.) I prefer to use bee propolis in a spray bottle for easy use. It coats the throat and has a mild, honey flavor. Great for kids and adults who want to proactively support their immune system, and it is also helpful for acute symptoms when sick (sore throats, coughing fits, etc.).
This is the brand I prefer and is the one that you've probably seen most commonly used.
They even make a kids version, too! Just follow the instructions on the bottle so you know what dosages to use!
Conclusion
Bee propolis is an effective product to help treat a variety of common ailments without the harsh effects that typically come from other sources such as processed medications like Tylenol, etc.
If you are new to the holistic healing space, I welcome you warmly! By slowly incorporating natural and effective remedies into your lifestyle will empower you to support yourself and loved ones without feeling like you have to call a doctor for every cough and sniffle that comes your way.
I believe that Western medicine and natural remedies can coexist and that there is a season for both. I want my readers to feel empowered that they can support their homes without feeling like they can only rely on a person in a lab coat. You know your family best and your convictions are unique to your life.
I encourage you to always make thoughtful, informed decisions based on the knowledge you have so you can continue to live and enjoy the rest of your days!
Comment below what natural remedies YOU love to reach for! 🐝
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment