Let me start this post by saying I am not your typical blogger.
I don't have the desire to travel all over the world.
I don't have "wanderlust" and I definitely tense up at the thought of boarding an airplane.
Travel, to me, is a nice treat once in a blue moon, but it is not something I strive to participate in on a regular basis.
I am quite content staying close to home. It's cozy, peaceful, and budget-friendly!
All that to say, despite my homebody-tendencies, I decided to explore our local area for a unique getaway for our 6th year wedding anniversary. I wanted to branch out a bit and see what interesting adventures could be found in our own backyard (or nearby, at least)!
Not everyone wants to go to Bali or travel across the globe. Not everyone can afford to live an extravagant lifestyle consistently on the go.
Honestly, it sounds more stressful than it's worth sometimes!
I wanted to see if it was possible to create fun and cherished memories close to home. I asked myself if it was possible to open my mind and discover local venues that could deserve a spotlight?
![]() |
| A stunning wood carving is a prominent feature as you enter the premises. |
That's when I discovered Historic Banning Mills!
For those of you familiar with the West Georgia area, or are looking to
explore this region of the south, Banning Mills is a historical landmark
nestled in the forests of Carroll County. The textile mills were in
operation during the Civil War era and the land has since been
maintained to include various hiking trails, lodges, recreational
activities, and more!
Now, I was already familiar with Banning Mills and even visited the premises for a team-building event hosted by my office back in 2019. However, I never got a chance to fully explore the facilities and stay overnight.
The idea of staying at their lodges was practically brand-new for me (and my husband), so we were excited when we found out that Banning Mills recently offered their new Treehouse Lodges as part of their lodging packages!
Zip-line tours are a popular and familiar attraction that the locals enjoy the most. If you ride around Carrollton or neighboring county long enough, you're bound to see a "Banning Mills Zip Line Tours" magnet decal on the back of someone's car.
We knew this would be a fun, mini-adventure for us!
For our anniversary, we wanted to do something a bit special, but nothing that would be too overwhelming on our budget or mental capacities. Plus, we have a toddler and didn't want to be too far off from the grandparents if they needed to reach us while babysitting.
The fact that Banning Mills was local (less than 20 minutes from our house...huzzah!) and offered a unique lodging feature was just what we needed to satisfy our anniversary goals.
We booked a treehouse for the night and prepared for the "day-cation"!
When we arrived, the check-in process was a breeze!
We were provided a map of the area which shows the locations of all of the attractions located within the facility. These attractions include:
- hiking trails
- nature theater
- mini golf courses
- rope courses
- zip line tours
- a swimming pool
The treehouse lodges are fully furnished and equipped with a bathtub, bathroom, king-size bed, dining table, and functioning AC unit. It also comes with a television mounted on the interior beam of the treehouse and there is also a gas furnace to keep the room warm and cozy during the winter season.

Our treehouse lodge!
We were in a tree and it was really cool!

You may be wondering if the treehouse was stable and truly secure.
The treehouses are...well...built onto a tree (duh!) and are secured with metal tethers and lots of wood and nails. There is a wooden suspension bridge that leads up to the front door and - depending on which treehouse you stay in - you can get a wonderful view of the forests surrounding the area.
We stayed in the treehouse closest to the swimming pool. There were a lot of guests (mostly teens and young kids), yet we did not hear them from our room. The sound was muffled and we felt like we were in the quiet mountains farther from home than we really were.
The room was peaceful and there was a gentle "sway" as we walked around. It wasn't too obvious of a swaying motion - though you could see the ceiling fan strings move back and forth - but I didn't feel like I had to reach for a Dramamine.
I felt safe and steady, if that's what you're wondering!
Here are some common details that we noted during our stay:
- The treehouse plumbing came with a 30-gallon water heater and the pressure from the shower was solid! No "weak" water pressure or issues.
- The AC unit was set around 68 degree Fahrenheit; we were told not to keep it any lower or else the unit would freeze over.
- The mattress was king-size and very firm. My husband was comfortable. I prefer a softer bed. The bedding came with sheets, a thin comforter, a coverlet, and 4 pillows (super comfy and soft - not too firm, either).
- The curtains in the room could easily cover each window and created a dark, cozy atmosphere during bedtime. This was nice because otherwise I was able to see into the neighbors treehouse and watch the cartoons they had on the television. Curtains are a must if you appreciate privacy!
- The Wi-Fi was free, though it was SUPER slow...probably a good opportunity to disconnect from screen time.
We explored the area, too!
While me and my husband are known for being homebodies, we do like to get out occasionally and explore what's around us:)
Instead of staying cooped up in our treehouse, we took time that evening to walk the premises hand-in-hand and see what Banning Mills had to offer.
Right outside our room - and up the hill - was a giant wood carving from an old tree that once grew on the property. The intricate details were professionally carved via chainsaw and the craftsmanship was something to admire. There was a nearby pavilion that housed a few Schwinn electric vehicles that we assume was used for touring the area.
We then visited the main lodge and walked around the gift shop and went upstairs to check out the scenic view from the upper-level patio. We went back downstairs and my husband took advantage of the billiard table and attempted a few (hilarious) trick shots.
After we left the lodge, we went down the first nature trail and crossed the bridge overlooking the river and nature theater. The nature theater is set up for the bird show which features a variety of birds that are local to the region - one of the birds is a bald eagle named "Liberty" who has her own sanctuary located beside the nature trail.
SIDE NOTE: Take care of yourself if you plan to go for a hike or lengthy tour. I am habitually out-of-shape and I was also deep into my Time of the Month (ladies, you know what I mean)...so I was exceptionally winded, weak, and sore by the time we returned to the room. Be prepared and take care of your health!
![]() |
| A scenic overlook from the main lodge makes you feel like you are far away from everything! So relaxing! |
Was it worth it?
- $299.00 per night
- $99 per couple's gourmet dinner (optional add-on)
- $16 for each child plate (optional add-on)
- $FREE complimentary breakfast
![]() |
| Take advantage of the free breakfast, y'all! Lots of good things: fresh fruits, yogurt, eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, waffles + syrup, fresh juice, tea/coffee, ice water :) |



Comments
Post a Comment